Friday, August 26, 2005

Its All About Your Dream

Finally finished reading 'The Alchemist'. longest perhaps I ever took for a book.Over a year. Started it over a weekend at home last year and then forgot all about taking it back to the hostel. nsomehow never got back to it. Untill today.

N amazingly I found it to be an Extremely beautiful book. n I am sayin that considering i generally get put off by the philosphy n 'let me tell u why ur life is so ****** up' kind of books.

I have heard very contrasting reviews about the book - most of them denouncing it as crap n few commending it. N i can understand both points of view perhaps. 'coz lastyear when i was reading it , I perhaps put it with the first kind.

Maybe because at that time I was too busy 'living my life' to actually understand what it was all about. I was sceptical, as i generally am, that aomebody could show me the way to my dreams.

This book is not for people like I was last year. It is perhaps for people like I am now. Disillusioned with life. But still with a hope. N a desire n a will to make things better again. To fulfill that one dream. To reach that one elusive aim.N have the faith that what is being left behind in this quest will not be lost forever.

"If what one finds is made of pure matter , it will never spoil.And one can always come back. If what u found was only a moment of light, like the explosion of a star, u would find nothing on ur return"

One cant just read this book for the heck of it. One must transcend to a higher level n read this book for what its tryin to say, tryin to make u understand. Of course the author goes overboard with unrealism at one point or other. But then who doesnt. So one just shakes his/her head at these parts n carries on waiting for the good parts.

For me , the book was like an 'omen' the kind there are in the book..

"The boy continued to listen to his heart as they crossed the desert. He lost his fear and forgot about his need to go back to the oasis. "even though I comlpain at times", his heart said" I am happy. People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams beacuse they feel they don't desreve them, that they'l be unable to achieve them. We, their hearts, beacome fearful just thinking of loved ones who go away forever or for moments that could have been good but weren't or of treasures that might have been but were forever hidden in the sands"

And the way the alchemist pursuades the boy to come along with him to the pyramids. Beautiful.

It isnt everday that one gets to read the kind of book that will gel with ur state of mind.

i might have found this book to be crap some other day.
I am just lucky I read it today.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Ajay said...

I think ur right..how much u like a book depends on the state of mind you are in.
I've heard most people say The Alchemist is too "kiddish"..not for the serious readers. I wouldnt say it is great literature too, but I did like it when I read it.

10:43 PM  
Blogger TheDoc said...

i agree that the parts about the wind n the sand n the sun talkin n other stuff is pretty kiddish..but then again!
glad u liked the book too

10:35 AM  
Blogger R said...

I read this one, for some good friends recommended it to me. Didn't like it as I was reading it, but liked it upon reflection.. just one small tiny part..

My fav. "modified" sentence from the book is "the entire world is conspiring to kill me!" I say that over and over again when i have assignments to do :D

8:24 AM  
Blogger TheDoc said...

aditi... that was really funny.."the whole world is conspiring to kill me"..upon reflection i think its pretty true.. hehe

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Kavita said...

Hmm...I like this one. Try reading it again and see whether you feel differently...give it an year's gap !Call it an experiment ;)
Also try "Siddhartha " by Herman Hesse translated into English and maybe "Illusions" by Richard Bach...all books I've felt differently about at different times and have read more than once with mixed feelings...I think I identify with that aspect.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home